Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A sense of investigation

Okay, I have finally caught up on enough items that I can spend a bit of time updating my journal entries for this project. I have started with my review of research from the literature, to get an idea of what is out there and how much information it will provide. I was amazed at the amount of research on attrition of traditional students and the lack of research on non-tradtional online learning. I suppose this is pretty normal given the relatively young age of online learning.I did choose a few very notable researchers in the field with the help of my advisor Dr. Yoon. Tinto, Garrison, Metzner and Bean, Kember, Ji-Hye Park, and Rovai. I have also viewed the information from Sloan C authored by Allen and Seaman to give me some basic statistics with which to work.

I have used the searchable databases from the WIU Library website, as well as ERIC to this point. I have run into a few snags which is mainly finding enough current information within the literature, so the search will become more narrowed using the advanced features of truncation, field searching, proximity searching, etc. I also plan on using the "invisible web" in my searching which was a new thing to me until I began this class. These types of issues will work themselves out given the amount of time and energy I am expending on this project, but I am still struggling with making the logical connection between non-traditional students and the specific program I am researching.I will be posting the methods of my searching next week along with the results of my labor in the form of an annotated bibliography for several of the readings.

Until then "peace". And remember the only failure is a failure to try.

7 comments:

Anne Colbert said...

Larry,

I love your Blogger url. That is great. I also liked how you described your experience with online learning. Looks Great!!

Anne

Jim West said...

Larry, it looks like you are making progress. I think ERIC is a good choice. Make sure you check out the advanced features. Also, WIU has multiple database vendors for ERIC, each with their own way of handling searches. I am interested in seeing your search strategies.

Annery said...

I'll be keeping your blog in my netvibes portal so I can check it out regularly. Netvibes has become my new favorite tool and people are starting to think I'm a salesrep for them with the way I go on about them. I found a helpful website in describing the steps of a lit review at http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/litrev.html

in case you're interested.

drunkbusfan said...

I am definetely interested. Thanks and Peace!

Larry

Sue McDaniel said...

Interesting research question... I found while doing a research paper for another class that, in general, online courses are held to a higher standard by schools and accrediting bodies. Could it be a corollary here that research is being done on attrition in online arenas, but attrition is expected and not generally studied in traditional classrooms?

At any rate, I can't wait to read your report(s).

Brian C. said...

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the comment. I am still brainstorming how I want to go about this project, but I think I have a really good idea. Now I just need to think where to start

Brian C. said...

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the feedback you left on my blog. I think it is a great idea, I am still brainstorming how I want to go about this.