Saturday, October 20, 2007

An ending to my story.

Well, this is just the beginning of the end for me. I am just about done with all the learning that was given to me before attempting to complete my final project for this program, A THESIS. Yes, this is what I have chosen to complete my degree with. I must say that this course has proven quite useful in that endeavor, and I am so pleased with Dr. West, giving us a wide choice of options for the final project. I have found the thesis to be a daunting task, especially since I have chosen Dr. Yoon as my primary advisor. He is quite a taskmaster but he also has taught me many great things about writing and research on quite a variety of topics. My topic and actual research questions are still a work in progress but I have been reading countless articles and taking rigorous notes and so far have it narrowed to the following:

The attrition and retention of online learners, and the effect of the characteristics of the learner and the relationship of internal and external variables on the success of the nontraditional student.

I have determined that the blog would have been a great thing to have started a long time ago, so I could have a quick synopsis of the many projects, readings, papers, and discussions that I have grown to appreciate and enjoy. If you are one who is early in the program, I have just two pieces of advice.
1. Never, underestimate the value you have to contribute to a discussion.
2. Don't give up on a group project, they really are a GOOD thing.
3. At least one time take an opposite side of something even if it isnt something you really think or subscribe too. Try and justify the opposite of what you believe. Some of the most worthwhile discussions I had were when I argued the unpopular side.

Okay, so that was 3, who's counting. At any rate, you may take my advice with any amount of salt you wish a grain or a whole shaker full, I just wanted to give those of you who are early in the program something to think about. Lastly, I hope we all have had a good experience from our work and discussions. I am fortunate to have met a few of you and those of you who know me personally, I hope I was able to provide some help to you in your time at WIU. Until next time PEACE!

3 comments:

Leslie Roberts said...

Wow, that is a really deep research question. I would be interested in seeing what you find. Good luck.

Unknown said...

It shows you're well into and just about out of the program from the topic you've chosen for Option 1.

You exhibit a great deal of critical thinking which your research will undoubtedly show much more of. I will look forward to seeing your progress.

Molly K said...

It looks like you have put a lot of time and thought into your final project so far, impressive! Have you written a thesis before? I had to write on in undergrad, and yes they are time consuming but the feeling of accomplishment once you are finished is great. You look like you are well on your way to a very thourough and exiciting final project! Best of luck!