Wow, I have been reading and reading and the more I read the more I have second guessed my thesis topic. Then I read more, and then I think yeah, I think I have it and know what I really want to do, but then here comes the doubt again! Well, it really is time to check in with my advisor, and thank goodness I have such an understanding advisor. He did assure me I would figure it out eventually, and that after just a bit more research and writing down all my thoughts even though it may seem trivial, it is really important to write down everything. No editing at this point, just read and summarize.
Well, this is what I did all weekend I read and summarized, read and summarized, and continued this process until I thought my mind was as full as it had ever been in my total educational experience since kindergarten. But the wonderful thing is it is now making sense and I am beginning to love my topic again. I thought I was going to have to start all over, but now I do see a glimmer of hope. With that being said, now I need to focus on my audience, do I want to be published, well, I really didn't think it really made a difference but my advisor does not believe that line of thinking. He feels if it is worth researching it is worth doing it well enough to be published. And yes, he is of course right again, and does have my best interest in mind. So if it is going to be published then I must also consider my reader when doing the research.
The purpose of research can be a way to get my degree which is the outcome of doing a good research project. But the purpose is really why I have decided to do the thesis option in the degree plan. I am truly hoping to make a big difference in the students I am serving, and if my research does this then I will have met my objectives. So the lesson I have taken from the assignment this week is to write down everything and don't discount anything as this point. Writing down not only what you think you should write but everything that comes to mind when you review your topic.
And finally, don't forget that you have just finished over 30 hours of solid coursework, you are a subject matter expert in the area you have chosen, and you do have something worthwhile to say. With this confidence you will further motivate yourself, and motivation is the key to progress. I have found the following link within one of my links on my netlinks, and it had some real useful ideas on getting from a concept to a thesis. If you get a chance check it out.
invention techniques
Peace!
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks for the great post. I believe that you are in good shape. Hopefully, you have begun focusing your topic and begun putting together your search strategy.
Larry - sounds like you're really working hard on this. Don't get discouraged, the hard work will pay off. Remember your own posting - the only real failure is the failure to try. Also, if you need some additional resources for the framework, check out the University of Toronto's writing center online.
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/annotatebib.html
The above is a link on the detailed path for putting together an annotated bibliography. This site has given me a lot of direction for the what, where, when, why and HOW!
Post a Comment