Well, it has been a busy week full of weekend courses, getting students enrolled in classes, and trying to finalize our graduation in December. On top of this my daughter and her husband now an active member of the armed forces are moving to Colorado, so to try and get something constructive done has been at the very least challenging. But I see Dr. West has returned and from what I understand, and from a very reliable source, thoroughly enjoyed his time sampling all the wonderful beverages that Heidelberg had to offer. Welcome back Dr. West!
Also, to top off the week today is my 53rd year of fun in this wonderful world. And my greatest gift besides the health and happiness of my family was to receive an "thumbs up" from my thesis advisor, Dr. Yoon. I submitted it over three weeks ago and it seemed like 3 months, but I finally heard back and it was the most wonderful feeling of satisfaction I have felt for a great while. It is solid writing, no pictures, graphs, or tables to this point. The organization of chapter one includes an Introduction and Overview, Background, Identifiable Problems, Statement of the Problem, Research Questions, Significance, Definition of Terms, and Limitations of the Study.
I have been furiously writing the past couple weeks hoping I was going to be able to use what I have submitted without a lot of reorganization and it has proven to be a wise choice. My determination and knowledge gained in my prior coursework has paid off. So take a look at my questions below and see what you think. I did narrow them down a bit since my last post, but this seems more within the time restraints I work around in my career and lifestyle. By the way BOT is Board of Trustee
The focus of the study will be research designed to answer the following questions:
1. How are the internal and external variables, and students’ drop out related in the BOT BA program?
2. How do internal and external variables influence the students’ retention or drop out in the BOT BA program?
3. Are there any differences in the students’ drop out between face to face and online courses?
4. Are there any unique factors specific to online courses that affect the students’ drop out?
So to say it was work is an understatement, but also to say it was rewarding is the purpose of my quest. Well, I really need to carry on with other things so until next time...Peace!
Larry
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey Larry,
Thank you for the positive comments you left on my blog. Right now I am all over the place putting this project together, so it will take some quality time to get a end result that I am satisfied with.
I think studying drop rate is really interesting. From my experiences in undergrad and grad school i think external factors play are the biggest reasons for the drop out rate. Such external factors I means are alcohol/partying and immaturity of students. Good luck with your project.
Larry, Congratulations on your thesis!! I too will be thinking about all that soon, let me know how it is going!! To answer your questions posted on my page, "So what have you discovered about employee motivation in contrast to student motivation? Is there a real difference?" I think that their is a strong relationship between teachers and students personal constructs regarding motivation. Teachers can buid on students motivation through their lessons and belief systems. With that said, to actually answer your question.....Teachers can be just like students, we behave with little motivation towards our teaching duties, and I know every teacher is guilty of this. How can we be highly motivated in a profession where we aren't really respected by anyone anymore, little pay, no pay for the all the extra hours we put in, and angry students, parents, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I truly love this profession and I understand what I do is great, but it can harden your perceptions on how people view us and critisize us? It is hard to stay really motivated to learn new ideas when it's hard enough to get your kids to do the basics? Do you understand where I am coming from? I will step down off my soapbox now.
Sounds like your work is moving along. It's an interesting research topic. My husband is a nontraditional student getting the BOT bachelor's degree through the WIU-QC campus.
Annie,
I didn't realize your husband was a student in our program. I hope he is finding it flexible. If he needs anything tell him to call anytime. (309) 298-1929
Larry
Post a Comment