The choice of databases was something that I have worked with for a while now and normally would prefer to use databases which I am relatively sure have full text articles available. This did narrow my choices somewhat, and though ERIC can sometimes be frustrating with it not including online full text documents, it is improving and is currently undergoing an update on its microfiche library including articles from as far back as 1966. It includes many types of bibliographic records, including journal articles, books, research syntheses, etc. It includes over 600 journals which have been indexed comprehensively. Additionally, more than 115,000 articles in full text format. So, basically ERIC is probably one of the most comprehensive databases available for educational research.
The following are the specific strategies I employed and the actual statements I used in the research:
Search 1
Title: Nontraditional
and keyword: Student
and keyword: Attrition
Results: 7
Search 2
Title: Nontraditonal
and keyword: Attrition
and keyword: Models
Results: 5
Search 3
Keyword: Nontraditional
and keyword: Attrition
and keyword: Models
Results: 32
Search 4
Keywords: Nontraditional
and keyword: “learn*”
and keyword: attrition
and keyword: “model*”
Results: 0
Search 5
Keywords: “nontraditional”
and keyword: “learning”
and keyword: “models”
Results: 439 (Jackpot!)
Obviously, the use of the truncation was not beneficial and also the use of the field “titles” was another choice that was too limiting and specific. In order to complete a research paper on the topic, I needed to use keywords and also be a bit more cognizant of my research topic and where the design of my thesis came from which was different “models” of “learning” within a population of “nontraditional” students. Thus, my search parameters did evolve into the useful retrieval of over 400 documents which is a lot to research, yes, but also a diverse number and scope to provide enough information about the topic.
After reviewing the list of returned documents, I then chose to select various ones and save them to “My Eric” and will then begin the task of reviewing and summarizing the choices. This will determine which articles remain and also give me a great reference tool to use at any given time and be able to pick the most relevant ones by reading my summarization of the articles.
I have a few other strategies to employ, and in order to not make this any more lengthy than I already have I have decided to keep this to a minimum. I already do have a large amount of prerequisite knowledge in the field and will employ the noted authors of research surrounding the topic of attrition and retention and the various models already known to the literature. Names such as Rovai, Garrison, Park, and Bean and Metzner, but those will possibly be at a later date when specific time will be spent combining all those researchers models into a new model and with a bit of luck maybe the next generation of instructional technologists will be putting my name in APA format at the end of their term papers. Have a great Thanksgiving and lots of turkey, stuffing, beer, and football to you all! Peace!
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nice work so far. I have a few questions and suggestions. First, I assume the research question is regarding attrition rates for online college course, perhaps focusing on gen ed programs like the BOT BA. Also, you seem interested in comparing attrition between online and face-to-face programs. ERIC is an excellent choice. You may need to refine your search as you go through.
Searching in the title field is a good start. What I did was searched (attrit* and online/title). This yielded only 4 hits. However, they are bullseyes. Now you have something to work with. Exploring the first record, you find the following Descriptors: Dropout rate; Enrollment; and Online courses. The next record also has Student attrition.
You can now search on these subject headings specifically and then combine them into a single set of results. (Did you know you can combine your sets in Firstsearch?) Use "or" to connect your synonyms and "and" to connect the concepts. Firstsearch lets you do this with clicks, but if you are interested, the final search will look something like this if you want to just copy and paste:
(su= "Online Courses") or (su= "Distance Education") and ((su= "Student Attrition") or (su= "Dropout Rate"))
You can probably expand from here if you like. The 79 hits in this set seemed pretty much on target.
Post a Comment