Hello One and All!
A great holiday so far. I think I have had my fill of Turkey, but could watch a bit more football, and probably partake of a few liquid refreshments yet this week! I have finally narrowed down my articles, as there were countless hundreds to look over, but thanks to Dr. West his advice did narrow the topics a bit. It was real refreshing to have a fresh set of eyes to give me a new perspective. I find, after a while the research gets a bit to mundane and I miss things that are quite obvious to a fresh pair of eyes. I cannot tell you how much using adult students rather than nontraditional students really was a big score. I am attaching a short part of my first article summary to see what kind of feedback I may get. Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
Tinto, V. (1975). Dropout from higher education: A theoretical synthesis of recent research. Review of Educational Research 45, (89-125)
Tinto’s predictive theory of student integration model is one of student integration to both the social and academic domains. It is the most common model that was prescribed to in the literature. Integration as reported by Martin E. Sandler (1998), was defined by Pascarella and Terenzini (1991), as “extent of shared normative attitudes and values of peers and faculty in the institution and abides by the formal and informal structural requirements for membership in the community” (p. 542). Upon looking at the individual work of Tinto (1975) prediction of attrition can be determined based on the degree of academic and social integration. In the literature Tinto explained the importance of looking at both the social and academic systems and the individual’s integration to each domain. Careful consideration must be given to not assume that simply because one system failed the student will dropout. Many times success of the academic system and failure of the social system does not mean the student will not drop out. Because the student was lacking in one area and obtained excessive emphasis in the other domain, would eventually cause havoc with the weaker side causing dropout from the university. The system must be designed to establish a whole person, a system that not only addresses the academic side but also the social side of the equation. The systems operate cooperatively of one another.
In developing the theoretical model of attrition using the longitudinal process of interactions where characteristics are evaluated one must also look at the motivational reasons for choosing a specific university as well as career and educational experiences. All of these factors deal mainly with the internal variables which include the characteristics of the individual. This study would not be appropriate did it not consider the external variables as well.
The external variables which may have little or nothing to do with the university still need to be considered. These external factors will bring about change in the goals and commitments an individual may have for a specific institution and can be linked to things such as parental commitment to a specific university. As these things change so do the decisions of the student to discontinue attending altogether or for a period of time.
Hopefully, I am getting enough information so when I go back and try to write the lit review I will be able to tell enough by my summary to know whether to spend any further time having to re-read what I already have a time or two. If anyone sees anything I may be missing please give me a comment.
Well, lots more to read and write, so until then...Peace!
Larry
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Looks like you are well on your way. I know what you mean about the mundane task of article sorting. I've been pretty picky along the way, but that has not made the researching very fun! I'm looking forward to settling down with my select group and getting this knocked out so Christmas will be a real party :)
Nice summary Larry. I hope these articles will come in handy with your thesis.
Post a Comment